You have probably heard of RSS feeds but you might still be unaware of why it is so beneficial. If you are still at a loss as to what an RSS feed is and why it can be good for you or your website, then you’re missing out on a lot of opportunities. As a user and follower of certain sites, RSS feeds can keep you updated about your favourite blog or site.
Advantages of RSS Feeds
RSS stands for Rich Site Summary, but some users have dubbed it as Really Simple Syndication because that is the main thing that it does. Syndication is the spreading of content to different users everywhere. By using it newly published content would be made readily available to those who have subscribed to the feeds.
Here are just some of the advantages that one can derive from using RSS feeds:
- It provides updates from websites as soon as they are published. It does not matter what kind of content it is. It can be music, news, weather bulletins, articles and videos. As long as a person is subscribed to an RSS feed then one can get it.
- Users have the ability to choose the sites that they can subscribe to. They are the ones that pick the sites and they also have the ability to unsubscribe to a website if they feel like it. That is a power of choice that did not exist before.
- It can save time for the user. Since they can get exactly the sort of content that they want from the RSS feeds then they would have to spend less time in browsing around which wastes a lot of time. This is especially important if the information that they are looking for is vital.
- We have mentioned before that the user has the ability to unsubscribe to a feed. There is more to that. In some instances, unsubscribing to something over the internet has been made difficult and complicated. Sometimes it is even impossible to do so but with an RSS feed once you unsubscribe, that would be the end of getting updates from the site.
- It can be used and in fact is being used as a powerful marketing tool today. With the regular updates that you can create for your site, you would be able to promote your site and push whatever product or service that you are selling quite effectively.